In New Jersey, Parole Supervision for Life, or PSL, is a special sentence that judges assign to certain convicted sex offenders at the time of their sentencing hearing, and immediately begins post-conviction or when the offender is released from incarceration, whichever is later. Once sentenced to PSL, the offender is under the legal custody of the Commissioner of Corrections, and is under the supervision of the Division of Parole of the State Parole Board; and just as the name says, it is a lifetime term.
The special sentence of PSL is mandatory, notwithstanding any provision of law to the contrary, if the person is convicted of one of the following crimes:
- Aggravated sexual assault
- Sexual assault
- Aggravated sexual contact
- Kidnapping , if the victim is under 16-years-old and a criminal act of child endangerment, sexual assault, criminal sexual contact, or human trafficking occurred during the kidnapping
- Endangering the welfare of a child by engaging in sexual conduct which would impair or debauch the morals of the child
- Endangering the welfare of a child by the production of child pornography
- Attempting to commit any of the above crimes
PSL conditions can vary greatly based on the individual. Violation of a condition without good cause is a fourth degree crime, with a mandatory prison sentence of up to 18 months, unless the court is convinced a term of imprisonment would be a manifest injustice.
A person registered under PSL may petition the Superior Court for a termination of parole supervision. In order to do so, the person may not have reoffended in the past 15 years since the last conviction or release from incarceration, whichever is later, and that the person is not likely to pose a threat to the safety of others if released from parole supervision.
If you have been sentenced to Parole Supervision for Life, and wish to modify your conditions or petition for a termination or have violated a condition and are in need of legal defense, contact a knowledgeable sex offender defense lawyer. The law office of Maynard & Sumner, LLC in Morristown, New Jersey are highly experienced in handling PSL, CSL, and Megan's Law post-conviction matters. To contact our offices for a thorough legal analysis of your situation, call us at 973-540-0054.